Sunday, June 18, 2006

Doctor Who: Love & Monsters


Overall, this series of Doctor Who has been many things; comical, horrific and interesting. What's also been is rather maudlin. I find Rose to be a bit dull. "The Satan Pit" at the very end where Rose tells the Doctor, "He said I'd die in battle," I was waiting for the Doctor to just turn to her and with a cheery smile say, "Don't worry, you still might."

I don't, on the whole, mind Rose. I think that her episode, "Father's Day" was one of the best in the series. However, I find that this growing romance between the Doctor and Rose is out of character with the series as a whole. I look back to the days when the Doctor would chide Rose about how the new boy aboard was her boyfriend, or about how Captain Jack was actually interested in him, or any of the like. That all said, I thought "Love and Monsters" was a spectacular episode.

Still, on the whole I thought this was one of the better episodes they've done together so far.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Love and monsters seems to have split people, and mostly it seems fans and some children are on the negative side, while others thought it was a great experiment.

I didn't see any development of the Doctor and Rose's relationship in this episode though, they weren't in it enough.

The love I thought was the enduring love between the members of Linda, brought together by a fascination with the Doctor.

There seemed to be a lot in the episode about being a fan of Doctor Who.

Andy said...

I agree, not particularly a lot of romance between the doctor and rose in this episode, but in the series as a whole maybe!

Their was quite a bit of love expressed by the members of Linda due to their fascination with the doctor! Overall I think it was a great episode for the doctor who fans out there!